Tuesday, 10 October 2017

Preparing for Millennial Leadership

Slowly but surely, the millennial generation will dominate various aspects of life. Generally, the millennial or Y generation consists of those born between 1982-1995, some say until the year 2000.

In 2025, as many as 75% of the world’s workforce will be dominated by the Y generation. At the same time, Indonesia in 2020-2030 will get demographic bonus. The total age of the labor force (15-64 years) will reach 70%, while the remaining 30% will reach unproductive age.

This means, Indonesia will have around 180 million people of productive age, while the unproductive age will be around 60 million people.

The condition can certainly be a blessing, but can also be a disaster for Indonesia. It is a blessing when Indonesian leaders are able to prepare the millennial generation well. It will be a disaster if the generation fails to be prepared because the millennial generation is said to be unruly.

Therefore, starting from the present what is called millennial leadership must be prepared.   It is leadership that cares about the future of the millennial generation. This is because the millennial generation plays an important role and becomes agents of change in the future.

If 70% of Indonesia’s population aged 30-40 years is equipped with sufficient skills and competence, then the dream of Indonesia becoming an influential country in Asia Pacific as well as a barometer of world economic growth will not be just a fantasy.

Practically, millennial leadership can run by preparing the golden generation, which means pushing the millennial generation to pursue the highest level of education as well as possible in various universities. At the same time, their leadership skills must also continue to be honed.

We are grateful for the various initiatives of the private sector in participating to prepare the millennial generation become future leaders. Tanoto Foundation, for example, annually provides scholarships to more than 300 outstanding students in various universities in Indonesia.

The scholarship support from the foundation established by Sukanto Tanoto and Tinah Bingei Tanoto is not limited to the cost of education, but also involves various training that can enhance the ability of scholarship recipients or Tanoto Scholars in leadership skills.

Every year, Tanoto Scholars Leadership Workshop and Tanoto Scholars Gathering are held, where all scholarship recipients gather in one place to build a network of friends, learn from each other, and receive various leadership trainings.

Excerpted from the writing of Ali Rif’an, Master Degree Graduate of the UI Leadership Strategic Studies, entitled “Preparing for Millennial Leadership”, Kontan Daily Newspaper, October 10, 2017.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments