NATIONAL CHAMPION SCHOLARSHIP
Launched in 2006, National Champion Scholarship aims to prepare Indonesia’s future leaders by providing scholarships for students who currently are pursuing Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees. In addition to having high academic performance and coming from financially underprivileged background, the candidates must have leadership potential.
Tanoto Foundation scholarship recipients or Tanoto Scholars do not only receive financial support. They are also trained in soft skills development such as training to improve their ability to work and communicate well with others. They are also encouraged to take part in Tanoto Scholars Association and participate in various social projects in their community. They are counseled when their academic performance is below Tanoto Foundation’s requirement. National Champion Scholarship recipients also have the opportunity to intern at different companies.
To implement National Champion Scholarship, we work with twelve partner universities in Indonesia.
- Institut Teknologi Bandung, in Bandung
- Institut Pertanian Bogor, in Bogor
- Universitas Indonesia, in Depok
- Universitas Gadjah Mada, in Jogjakarta
- Universitas Jambi, in Jambi
- Universitas Mulawarman, in Samarinda
- Universitas Hasanuddin, in Makasar
- Universitas Brawijaya, in Malang
- Universitas Diponegoro, in Semarang
- Universitas Andalas, in Padang
Selection of National Champion Scholarship is carried out in four stages:
(*) Verification of requirements fulfillment through checking of supporting documents
(**) Written test and FGD on applicants’ aptitude and personality
Until December 2015, the National Champion Scholarship Program has achieved the following:
- Providing scholarships to 2,412 students
- Establish Tanoto Scholars Associations (TSA) in 11 cities.
- Maintain a low drop out rate of 1.5%.
- Supported students to have high academic result. Average score is 3.6 on a 4.0 scale.
Every year, public’s interest to apply for National Champion Scholarship remains high. In 2015, a total of 8,057 students applied for this Scholarship. Only 236 students were accepted as Tanoto Scholars.
A. BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAM
- Indonesian citizens
- Currently enrolled as student of ITB, IPB, UI, UGM, USU, UNRI, UNJA, UNMUL, UNHAS, UNBRAW, UNDIP, and UNAND.
- Maximum age of 21 year old when applying for scholarship
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. For those applicants who are still in the first year of university, they can use grades from Grade 12. Minimum average grade is 8.00 on a scale of 10.00
- In need of financial support as recommended by the University
- Possesses leadership skills, social awareness, and commitment to develop Indonesia
B. MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAM
- Indonesian citizens
- Currently enrolled as a student of IPB, ITB, UGM, UNHAS, UI, USU, and UNDIP.
- Maximum age of 40 year old when applying for scholarship
- Work experience of at least two years after completion of Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.25 on a 4.00 scale. For those who are in the first year of their Master’s Degree education, can use their Cumulative GPA while pursuing their Bachelor’s Degree. Minimum Cumulative GPA should be 3.25 on a 4.00 scale.
- Possess leadership skills, social awareness, and commitment to develop Indonesia
REGIONAL CHAMPION SCHOLARSHIP
Regional Champion Scholarship (RCS) aims to nurture future leaders from rural areas committed to their region’s development.
Since 2011, Tanoto Foundation has been offering Regional Champion Scholarship to students at 28 Indonesian state and private universities. These universities are:
- Bogor Agricultural University – Bogor
- Bandung Institute of Technology – Bandung
- Medan Institute of Technology – Medan
- Andalas University – Padang
- Batanghari University– Jambi
- Bengkulu University – Bengkulu
- University of Brawijaya – Malang
- Darmawangsa University – Medan
- Gadjah Mada University – Yogyakarta
- Hasanuddin University – Makassar
- HKBP Nommensen University – Medan
- University of Indonesia – Jakarta
- State Islamic University Sultan Syarif Kasim – Riau
- Riau Islamic University – Pekanbaru
- North Sumatera Islamic University – Medan
- University of Jambi – Jambi
- Parahyangan Catholic University – Bandung
- Saint Thomas Catholic University – Medan
- University of Lampur – Bandar Lampung
- Lancang Kuning University – Pekanbaru
- Methodist University of Indonesia – Medan
- Muhammadiyah University of North Sumatera – Medan
- Mulawarman University – Samarinda
- Padjadjaran University – Bandung
- University of Riau – Pekanbaru
- Sriwijaya University – Palembang
- University of North Sumatera – Medan
- Syiah Kuala University – Banda Aceh
Selection of Regional Champion Scholarship is carried out in four stages:
(*)Verification of requirements fulfillment through checking of supporting documents
(**)Written test and FGD on applicants’ aptitude and personality
Until December 2015, a total of 173 students have received Regional Champion Scholarship.
Tanoto Foundation scholarship recipients or Tanoto Scholars do not only receive financial support. They are also trained in soft skills development such as ability to work and communicate well with others. They are also encouraged to take part in Tanoto Scholars Association and participate in various social projects in their community. They are counseled when their academic performance is below Tanoto Foundation’s requirement. Regional Champion Scholarship recipients also have the opportunity to intern at different companies.
- Students in grade 3 or XII SMA / SMK / MA in North Sumatra, Riau and Jambi.
- Ranked 10 since grade 1 or grade 3 or X to XII in its class.
- Fill out the registration form which can be downloaded at www.tanotofoundation.org or can be obtained in each school.
- Completing a predetermined administration documentation.
- Derived from disadvantaged families economically, attach paychecks / income parents and a letter of recommendation from the RT or the chief.
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the principal stating the student is eligible to enter the scholarship selection process.
- Accepted at:
- Universities which have been determined by the Tanoto Foundation.
- The study program that has been set by the Tanoto Foundation (see registration form)
- Obliged to follow the Internship Program in the business group PT Royal Golden Eagle (RGE) Indonesia.
- The semester GPA is required to maintain a minimum 2.75 (scale of 4).
- Obliged to undergo a bond for 4 years under the group of PT RGE Indonesia.
Scholarship consists of:
- Registration fee the college.
- Tuition fee.
- Monthly allowances.
Benefit as Regional Champion Scholarship awardees:
- The certainty of a career in the business group PT RGE Indonesia.
- Internship Program.
- Debriefing Program.
- Tanoto Scholar gathering.
- Counseling Program.
- Program Konseling.
TANOTO TEACHER SCHOLARSHIP
Tanoto Foundation has been providing Tanoto Teacher Scholarship since 2011. With this Scholarship Program, teachers who are civil servants and honorarium-based have the opportunity to continue their education to a higher level. Empowered with sufficient and high quality education, these teachers are hoped to improve their teaching and learning process in the school. This program is available for teachers in rural areas of Riau, Sumatera Utara, and jambi.
Until December 2015, a total of 150 teachers have benefited from Tanoto Teacher Scholarship.
Tanoto Foundation provides scholarships to ﬁnancially-disadvantaged high school graduates from rural areas aspiring to have a career in the agriculture or forestry sector. Tanoto Foundation vocational scholarships are provided together with private companies from the previously-mentioned sectors.
Tanoto Foundation Vocational Scholarship is offered through two institutions:
- Agriculture Institute (INSTIPER) in Yogyakarta, supported by companies such as Asian Agri and APRIL.
- Pulp and Paper Technical School (ATPK) in Bandung, The collaboration with this school is also supported by APRIL.
As of December 2015, 356 students have received vocational scholarships. Upon graduation, most of the students work at national and international companies in the forestry or agriculture sector.
Selection process for the scholarship will cover:
Launched in 2010, the Youth Scholarship program enables high-performing junior and senior high school students from underprivileged families in Medan and Belawan, Sumatera Utara cover school fees.
This program attests to the historical roots of our founder, Sukanto Tanoto, who was born in Belawan and raised in Medan. Youth Scholars are typically raised by parents who are either informal workers such as manual laborers, micro traders, or low level employees. Mindful of the special needs of this group of students, intensive counseling and academic mentoring have been explicitly structured into this scholarship program. The result has been a drop-out rate of almost zero.
Though most of our Youth Scholarship graduates tend to enter the work force straight after high school to help their family, three of the Youth Scholarship graduates have succeeded in getting our Regional Champion Scholarships and will continue studying to obtain their university education.
As of December 2015 we have partnered with 21 secondary schools and supported 353 students.
SAYAP GARUDA SCHOLARSHIP
Sayap Garuda Scholarship was launched in 1997 and designed to support the continuity of rural development by developing talent pool for rural areas.
The program targets high-performing students whose parents work in RGE Group companies in rural areas and is inclusive to all school locations.
As of December 2015, the Sayap Garuda scholarship has beneﬁtted over 2,600 students.
MORE FROM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS
APA KATA MEREKA
Teachers in this school are happy with their job. The school has many activities despite the limited resources that the schools have. With Tanoto Foundation’s help, our teaching technique is now comparable to the teachers out there. We do things differently now. Learning activities becomes fun and exciting.
Daryono, Teacher of Madrasah Ibtidaiyah Negeri Lubuk Kembang Sari, Riau
Children became more attentive during learning sessions. They are very happy with the playground facility in the center’s backyard. The spacious classroom also helps teachers to create learning corners for students activities. Thank you, Tanoto Foundation
Siti Maryam, The Principal of PAUD Bougenville 011, North Jakarta